Friday, 9 December 2011

Homemade Christmas tree - African style

I decided to "make" my own Christmas tree this year, since I don't own a plastic one and fir trees don't grow in South Africa. 
Step one: I went for a walk in a nearby eucalyptus (Australian blue-gum) plantation and found a nice fallen branch. I chose eucalyptus because it has a smooth bark. 
Step two: I painted the branch white with some PVA paint I had lying about. The really fine branches took a while to paint...


Step three: I "planted" the branch in a terracotta flower pot using river stones, and added a few beach pebbles on top to finish it off.



I then added some baubles hung using fine, silver organza ribbon.


And also strung a few white LED lights and there you have it: an environmentally friendly (and free), African Christmas tree.

3 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

That's an excellent idea! It looks lovely!

Sujata said...

I just went through your entire blog. Beautiful quilts! This homemade Christmas tree drew me right in! You are so creative! I love your quilts, colors and textures! Just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Lorna D in KZN

Now all you need is a few beaded ornaments and it is a true SA Tree