Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Shirt-stripe boxes quilt beginning

I've made a couple of the shirt-stripe boxes, what fun they are to make! The squares can come out quite differently from the same fabric, depending on how wide apart the stripes are and where you start cutting. These are only 4 of the 29 striped fabrics that I have, so I have a long way to go...


Oh yes, and I have decided to hand-quilt my pinwheel quilt. I was able to get some lovely wool batting from Beary Quilts in Cape Town yesterday. I will tackle the basting once I've done some reading up on blogs on how to do it correctly. Any suggestions would be most welcome :)

2 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Great start on your new quilt. About the basting; take a look at this: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2009/03/quilt-along-part-13-making-the-quilt-sandwich.html
I don't even do it on the floor, but on a longish table. I find I don't need to tape the backing down as the weight of it hanging over the table helps to keep it wrinkle free.

Exuberant Color said...

I have several posts about basting with needle and thread. This post shows the kind of needles and thread http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-basting-info.html

Some of the other posts show the diagonal thread formed by the stitches. Just to go my label list and click on basting and the posts will come up.