Saturday, 14 January 2012

Sewing machine on sick leave and some new stuff

So just as I'm about to finish piecing my shirt-stripe boxes quilt top, my Bernina sewing machine stops working! It is long over-due for a service (I think that it was last serviced about 10 years ago.... oops). So now I'm taking a break from sewing and working on the hand-quilting of the pinwheel quilt. Hopefully it won't take too long to repair.


I've been looking all over for perle crochet cotton no. 8. I found out that they no longer sell the coloured crochet no. 8 cotton in South Africa, they only have white and ecru (boring!). So I managed to find some cotton on Etsy to use for hand-quiliting, very yummy colours!

I also bought two gorgeous jelly rolls (Robert Kaufman - La Maison and Moda - Curio) on sale from Hancocks of Paducah, can't wait to make some traditional looking quilts with this. I just need to find the perfect pattern, I've been Google-ing jelly roll quilts on the web to find inspiration.

I've been planning on making some new sofa cushions with this fun Michael Miller Botanika fabric. I didn't realise that the print is so huge until it arrived, so its best to be used for cushions. I do love birdies! At least I can cut them out in the meantime.

4 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Sorry to hear about your Bernina. I hope "she" will be back soon and as good as new. Your hand quilting is fabulous and you are making fantastic progress.

cathquilts said...

how frustrating that your sewing machine is out of action....hopefully not for too long. I love the perle cotton (such gorgeous colours) I have never used it for hand quilting before...would love to give it a try.

waggonswest said...

I hope your sewing machine feels better soon! Your pinwheel quilt is beautiful. I have trouble judging the scale of prints on-line. Either there is some standard that I don't understand or there ought to be one that I do!

Nifty Quilts said...

Your work is beautiful!! Very inspiring!!