Saturday, 4 February 2012

Summer Star Quilt planning

I'm busy trying to narrow down the fabric choices for my new Summer Star Quilt, which will be made using Kaffe Fassett fabrics (naturally!) and based on the New Orleans Star Quilt pattern from his book "Kaleidoscope of Quilts". I attempted my first star block this morning, and I'm getting a feel for it, I still need to increase the contrast between some of the fabrics to make the star design stand out more.
It was fun to make! Not as difficult as I initially thought. Here is the original pattern. I think that I might make it bigger, perhaps with a more interesting border.

3 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Gorgeous fabrics, but then one can't go wrong with Kaffe Fasset, can one?
Interestingly enough, at first I didn't see the star in the block you've made. Only after reading about it, did I see it. A bit like those optical tricks.

Nifty Quilts said...

I love this pattern, and have wanted to make one myself someday. Your colors are gorgeous. It will be fun to see your progress!

Marié said...

You proof me wrong. I mistakenly thought that it is difficult to make traditional blocks with modern fabric. Your careful selection creates a tunning block!