Sunday, 9 March 2014

Back from England

Coventry Cathedral (ruined during 2nd World War)
I've been in England for just over half a month for work; visiting Coventry University and also a quick trip to London. I managed to squeeze in a visit to two National Trust properties in Warwickshire; Baddesly Clinton (a moated 700-year old house) and Packwood House (a 500-year old restored house) near Lapworth. Totally fascinating.
Baddesly Clinton
Packwood House
In my short visit to London I made sure that I visited Liberty, home of Liberty Art Fabrics and also stockists of Rowan yarns and fabrics. At 22 GBP per meter (around R 420 or $37 USD p/m) for their quilting cotton, I did not feel tempted to buy any but just looked at the beautiful designs, and bought myself a small neck scarf in Angelica print (pictured below).
Liberty, Regent St., London
Liberty Angelica Print
Although an expensive city (especially since the South African Rand is so weak recently), London has many wonderful free art galleries and museums. One of my favourites was the National Gallery, where I saw Van Gogh's Sunflowers and Cypresses, and several of Monet's Water Lily works. So bright and vivid in real life. The Tate Britain also contained some fantastic Turner and Constable exhibitions.
View of Big Ben over Trafalgar Square from the National Gallery London
I also thoroughly enjoyed the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, although I was quite disappointed that there was none of Kaffe Fassett's work on display. I did however recognize some of his inspiration at the museum.
Victoria and Albert Museum glass exhibition
London's Gothic architecture is amazingly intricate, I really enjoyed Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament.
Westminster Abbey, London
Houses of Parliament, London
 I will have to to back again to take in some more!

3 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

You had a busy time in the UK with work as well as sight seeing. I hope the weather wasn't too bad and you didn't almost "drown". KF will have a 8 month exhibition at the American Museum in Bath, starting I think this month.

Karen's Quilts from Cape Town said...

Lucky fish! I hear KF will be at the 2015 Nat Quilt Fest in KZN.

Pinkflorentina said...

I've just come across your blog via The Kaffe Fassett page on FCBK. So you were in my home town, Coventry. I've lived here on and off since a child and even worked in SA for a while in my early twenties
Glad to see you came across Packwood, a great place. But the big one for me, and the saddest part of no longer living in London is the V&A. Such an inspiration.
Your quilting work is beautiful