Monday, 8 September 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

My first Kaffe Fassett Quilt: Spring Boston Common
I was recently invited by the very inspiring and extremely skillful quilter Oops-Lah (Vreni) in Singapore to take part in the in Around the World Blog Hop. Please do check out her lovely blog http://oops-lah.blogspot.com/, she is an expert at applique quilting and making beautiful fabric boxes. The blog hop is quite simple: answer a few questions and invite three more people to join in.



1.  What am I working on?

I am currently attempting to make my own version of the fabulous Postcard Quilt (original pictured below) by Liza Lucy Prior from Kaffe Fassett's book "Quilt Road". I have finished the first few rounds of the center of the quilt, still have a long way to go...
Postcard Quilt by Liza Lucy Prior
I am also working on a cheerful two-by-two block quilt (pictured below) made from leftovers from my Tutti-Frutti Granny Square Quilt
Two-by-two Quilt

2.  How does my work differ from other's of its genre?

I love working with Kaffe Fassett's fabric the most; there are endless exciting colours and patterns to choose from, and they look hand-painted. I like my quilt to have a strong underlying structure or pattern (repetition of shapes), so that it has rhythm. I love using as many different prints as possible in a quilt, I think it creates richness of colour and interest. I am strongly influenced by Kaffe Fassett, but I like to use my own colour combinations and also design my own quilt patterns (e.g. my Water Lilies Pinwheel Quilt pictured below).
Water Lilies Pinwheel Quilt

3.  Why do I create what I do?

I love to be creative, and quilting really appeals to me because it involves colour, texture and craftmanship. Also, one ends up with something that is functional (and snuggly). I blog to share my creativity and joy of making quilts. My day job is very logical (soil scientist at a university); so another reason why I find quilting and blogging so enjoyable. I also enjoy other crafts and hobbies such as knitting (see knitted patchwork below), crochet, dress-making, gardening and painting landscapes. I have been knitting and sewing since I was a small child, taught by mom and grandmother. I started quilting in my teens using my mom's scraps from dress-making.
Knitted Patchwork
Unfinished Wedding Ring Quilt started in my teens

4.  How does my creative process work?

I usually start with a quilt block design that excites me (could be from a book, blogs, pinterest or just playing with scraps). Then I proceed to figure our what colour combinations to use to make it pop (e.g. my Summer Star Quilt (pictured below), a happy version of the New Orleans Star quilt by Liza Lucy Prior). 
Summer Star Quilt

I would now like to pass on to some of my favourite fellow bloggers; they will post their blog hop posts on 15 September 2014. Please do visit their inspiring blogs!: 

Smazoochie (Beth) from Texas, USA http://smazoochie.blogspot.com/ - She is very creative and I love her use of colour and thrift fabrics.

Mystic Quilter (Maureen) from New Zealand http://mysticquilter.blogspot.com/ - She has an excellent eye for colour, her quilts are so rich and jewel-like. She is also a Kaffe Fassett fan.

Fleur's Place (Fleurette) from Durban, South Africa http://fleuretteellis.blogspot.com/- she makes beautiful quilts using traditional patterns but with modern fabrics and includes embroidered blocks.

11 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Excellent post Ailsa! I enjoyed reading about you and your crafts. I don't know why, but I never saw your amazing knitted patchwork "quilt". Wow!! Thanks for playing along and I will certainly visit he blogs you've tagged.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your post Ailsa and what a joy to see your knitted patchwork - Kaffe Fassett would be so proud of you!!! Hope we can watch your progress with the Postcard Quilt. Your yellow quilt has inspired me to get busy on my huge stash of yellow - most of them Kaffe and friends fabric. Better get busy on my post for next week!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I really enjoyed learning more about your creative approach and seeing some of your early work. Your knitted patchwork is really special and I'm impressed you started a Double Wedding Ring in your teens.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Those are beautiful quilts that you've made. I love the Summer Star Quilt and the pinwheels too. I too spend hours pouring over Kaffe's books and thinking about what to make next. It's been nice to read about your work.

smazoochie said...

I can see your love of colo(u)r & gardening in your quilts. You are so skilled with all variety of needles -- I'm so very impressed by the knitted patchwork. And a double wedding when you were a teen!
Thanks for the tag! See you next week!

Nifty Quilts said...

I enjoyed this interview on your creative process and getting to see some of your earlier quilts again. I didn't know your were so ambitious in your teens! Absolutely love your knitted quilt. I will look up the other blogs!

Fleurette said...

A lovely post Ailsa. Summer Star is gorgeous and I love your knitted patchwork and looking forward to seeing your progress on the Postcard quilt. Thanks for tagging me.

sewkalico said...

Loved reading this. Your knitted patchwork is such fun!! You make beautiful quilts.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Very nice post, thank you for sharing. Love your work with all these tiny pieces. Greetings, Sylvia

susan nieuwoudt said...

Wow just love how you have put all the lovely colours together. I still have a problem which I am slowly but surely solving with the use of putting together a combination of prints. Thanks for sharing.

Katharina Raab said...

Wow,ich habe neben mir das Buch von Kaffe Fassett "Quilt Road" und würde diesen wundervollen Quilt auch nähen. Dein Quilt sieht wunderschön aus!!!!
Sorry, but my englisch is not so good and i think, google have an translator:-)
I wood like to sew also this wonderful quilt-all your quilts are so lovly!!!
Greeting, Katharina