Sunday, 19 April 2015

Two-by-two Rose Tea-party quilt progress

I've been doing some quilting this weekend, haven't done any for a while. This summer has been quite hot, so I have not been much in the mood for sewing, especially since the sewing room gets full sun in the afternoon. I've been working on my two-by-two Rose Tea-Party quilt using left-overs and scraps from several previous projects. 
I've finished laying out the blocks, now I will begin assembling the quilt. The two-by-two square blocks are each made from four 2.5" squares (2 in a warm colour print, 2 in a cool colour print). I've placed the blocks on point, with the cool colour blocks pointing in one direction and the warm colour blocks in the opposite direction. It creates a rhythm, that is fun for the eye to skip over.

When I came to my sewing machine to begin piecing, I found this:
"Someone" had pulled out all of the pins on my pincushion and thrown them on my sewing desk and on the floor. I thought to myself, why would my husband do that? I scanned the room and then this caught my eye:
Ah, so it was little sewing "helper". Sweety-Bird must have been very, very busy during the week. I must remember to unplug the sewing machine cord when I'm finished sewing, otherwise he uses it as a rope to climb up onto the sewing desk. With such a cute little budgie face, who could be angry?
Sweety-Bird has got a buddy now, an olive budgie, called Luc. He used to be my mom's budgie. He is also relatively tame, a few years older than Sweety, but definitely not as adventurous/naughty. He sings sweet trilling budgie songs all day and he is quite gentle. Sweety-Bird speaks English quite well, I will make a video of his ramblings and post it sometime soon.
Sweety-Bird and Luc

7 comments:

Flickenstichlerin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flickenstichlerin said...

Beautiful color and fabric combinatins in your two by two project. Just lovely and your bird seems to have a lot of interest in your sewing. Neat story.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Nifty Quilts said...

Your 2 x 2 is wonderful! Your sweet floral scraps in warm and cool create a really charming quilt! I must have missed the "postcard" quilt. Looks like a fun challenge to pick just the right fabrics and to make those little blocks. Really fun. Oh, and your birds! I would love to hear the symphony sometime.

Wanda - Scraphappy Blended Quilter said...

Gorgeous Two-by-two Rose Tea-party quilt! To colors are fabulous with your arrangement. The bird story is too funny! I use to own a similar bird as a child and can just imagine this happening! Can't wait to see the finished quilt!!!

smazoochie said...

How lovely that your Mother's bird has joined your family. I hope the naughty pin stealer is not too bad of an influence. ;-)
Your 4-patches are positively juicy!

Carolien said...

I love your quilt and what a funny story about the birds!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Such a lovely quilt... the scrappyiness is delightful! And I do like it set on point, very effective!