Friday, 22 September 2017

Barbie clothes endevour

I've been busy lately with making and selling barbie clothes and quilts. I've been using mainly Liberty Tana Lawn fabrics which work very well for barbie clothes as they are so finely woven, and thus don't lead to bulky seams. Here are some examples of my en-devours.

I sold quite a lot of clothes locally, mainly by word of mouth, which inspired me to open a little shop on Etsy recently:

I'm having lots of fun, and for now the quilting (on a large scale) has taken a bit of a rest.

Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Barbie quilt and outfits

So here is my first quilt finish for 2017! It measures a mere 9" x 11" (hahaha). I felt inspired by my discovery of my Barbie doll paraphernalia at my dad's house, so I designed a cute little quilt for Barbie.
The blocks measure around 1". Despite its small size, it took quite a few hours to make. I also sewed a few cute outfits using some of my mini prints collection.
I've almost finished attaching all the edge rosettes on my paper-pieced hexagon quilt. As soon as it's finished I will be able to send it off the to the professional quilters.

Saturday, 11 February 2017

Finishing the edges of the hexagon quilt

So I'm still busy trying to finish off my pastel paper-pieced hexagon quilt. I'm busy filling in the edges now. My job has been so hectic the past few months, so I've not had much energy for quilting or other creative pursuits unfortunately :(
I bought myself a copy of Kaffe Fassett's latest colouring book last week: Adventures in Color. 
I love how the book has 10 tutorials by Kaffe which teach techniques and how to choose colours. I haven't managed to colour anything yet, still admiring his hand drawn artwork too much.

Thursday, 10 November 2016

New yummy Kaffe Fassett fabrics

Look what arrived in the post. I love the latest prints and colours from Kaffe Fassett collective. Can't wait to start cutting it up and making something.

Monday, 31 October 2016

Paper-pieced hexagon quilt top almost done!

I've finished hand-piecing together the stars and rosettes of my paper-pieced hexagon quilt. All I need to do now is fill in the background with a few more hexies. 

Spring is in full force here in the Western Cape. Our new front garden put on a show thanks to the cool spring weather.

Monday, 19 September 2016

Curio hexagon quilt finished at last

At long last I finished machine-quilting and binding my Curio hexagon quilt made with a jelly roll and some yardage. And just in time to give it to my friend for her birthday yesterday (phew!). She loved it! Here is a link to the Tutorial where I explain in detail how I made the quilt top.
For the quilting I stitched around the inner and out hexagons.
Here is picture of the pieced backing made from the leftovers. So basically the quilt is reversible.

Sunday, 3 July 2016

Hexagon paper-pieced quilt assembly

I've started assembling my paper-pieced hexagon quilt this week. It's been going surprisingly quicker than I anticipated. I hope to be done soon!

Here below is the layout of the stars and rosette blocks before assembly. Once I've assembled the blocks, then I will finish off the edges with background and partial blocks.

I've also, at long last, basted my Curio hexagon quilt (which I finished piecing almost 4 years ago...) and I've started machine-quilting the hexagon shapes. Its going to be a gift for one of my dearest friends that I met in high school.