Sunday 22 January 2012

Knitted patchwork

This is a knitted patchwork blanket that I started working on when I was about 15 years old. I work on it from time to time, when I feel like knitting (mostly in winter). This is how I taught myself to knit fair-isle using Kaffe Fassett's wonderful book "Glorious Knitting". I never really knitted any sweaters, except for a vest and a waistcoat from "Glorious Knitting"; I prefer to knit sampler blocks to play with colours and patterns. 
I have a whole bag of blocks waiting to be joined, hopefully the blanket will get finished this decade :) 

I'm still waiting to get my sewing machine back from the service agents. I haven't had much time for sewing though, I've been away at a national soil science conference for the last week. It went very well, I got an award for the scientific paper I presented, that is God's unmerited favour!

9 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Those knitted squares are beautiful, absolutely amazing. You really should try to finish it soon ;). Congratulations on your prize for your paper! You really are a lady with many talents!

Sujata Shah said...

Those squares are gorgeous! Wish I could knit!
Congratulations for the first place!

Nifty Quilts said...

Oh my goodness! This is beautiful!!! I'll look forward to seeing your progress. Congratulations on you prize!

waggonswest said...

Congrats on the paper. That is impressive. ... and the knitting is pretty awesome as well.

Anonymous said...

LornaD in KZN

Whew, don't think I would do knitted blocks - too hot for knitting here and my stitches are not always the same size (LOL). Have you tried to crochet them together? Congrats on your achievement. God has blessed you.

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Thank you for all the kind comments. The knitted blocks have a crochet border, and then I joined them together by hand stitching. Sometimes I have to add a few rows of crochet to make the blocks fit together, similar to grouting in mosaic!

MariƩ du Toit said...

My eerste "kwilt" was ook gebrei- maar in 1970 het Kaffe Fasset nog nie sy wonderlike boeke geskryf nie- so my blokkies was effekleurig. Ek is mal oor jou pragtige blokkies en jou laslap projekte.

kittysquilts said...

Absolutely fabulous, Ailsa! I don't think I ever seen anything so original. It's going to be simply stunning! Love, love, LOVE it!

dls said...

Lovely! Your colors are fabulous and the patterns divine! Thanks are posting!