Tuesday, 30 April 2013

A new French inspired project

I bought a few charm packs of some Moda French General fabric ranges. I've been eyeing them for a while now, I do love the shades of red and antique greens. I'm still deciding what to do with them, maybe a nine-patch quilt? Or something else traditional? The solid cream fabric is not working very well with the antique prints; I think its too light and crisp. I need to find a darker neutral solid for making the nine-patches.

We have a new pet, Sweety-Bird, a hand-reared baby budgie, who makes quilting more difficult as he wants constant attention and tends to flap his wings impatiently when he doesn't get it, sending carefully laid fabric pieces flying around... naughty!

Monday, 29 April 2013

Mom is on a roll - Charming Star Spa quilt finished

My industrious mom finished another quilt recently, a Charming Star quilt using the Moda Spa fabric range. The Charming Stars pattern is from the Moda Bakeshop website and is made of 3 charms packs, and 2.5 yards of white fabric and 1.5 yards of blue fabric for the borders and binding. My mom also machine-quilted it herself. Here is a shot of the backing, pieced from leftovers.Lovely!

Thursday, 25 April 2013

Mom's second delft snowball quilt finished

My mom finished a second single size Delft Snowball quilt with her leftover fabric from the double size Delft Snowball quilt and she quilted it herself with her machine. I am the privileged owner of this lovely quilt now! Thanks Mom!

Monday, 22 April 2013

Progress on Pinwheel and Hexagon quilts

I've finished hand-quilting the center panels and borders of my Pinwheel quilt (about time!). 
Now I'm going to machine quilt the remaining outer panels. I have started on that, quite a mission with such a huge quilt. It's my first attempt at machine quilting with a running foot; its a bit untidy so far, but I'm getting better at it.

I also finished piecing the back of my Curio hexagon quilt. I tried out the kaleidoscope block using my leftover fabrics. 
I added borders with leftover remnants to get it to the right size for the backing. Now I need to assemble the quilt sandwich and do some more machine quilting. At least I'll be getting more practice at it!